Monday, August 12, 2013

Living in the Muppets

I have a few muppet familiars.  Some days, when I’m having what some might call “negative” emotions, I find that personifying them as muppets makes me giggle just a little bit and gives me the space that I need to let them go.


Cookie Monster is hunger, need.  Today, for instance, when I’m trying to give up sugar again and not eat a cookie and or ice cream all day, it’s a cookie monster day.  I love Cookie Monster, although, truth be told, Grover is probably my favorite.  Cookie Monster just wants what he wants, and will do anything to get it.  He’s got a one-track mind.

Animal is another one. He’s anger, destruction.  Animal will try to destroy and freak out whenever he can, just like Cookie Monster will try to eat cookies. It’s in his nature.  Entertaining, yes, and cute, but ultimately, he really wants to destroy everything he comes into contact with.

And last, but not least, is Beaker.  He’s fear, dread, worry. He means well, and does what he’s told, but it always ends up in an explosion.  He’s cute, too, but whenever he comes on screen you know something’s going to go wrong.  He’s terrified, and too  terrified to even say he’s terrified.

Cookie Monster is the most articulate, but ever notice that the other two are non-verbal? And Cookie Monster speaks like an old movie version of Frankenstein’s Monster. They are all urge.

Most days, I’m probably closer to Kermit (or like to think I am), the sensible stage manager who is attempting to keep his cool while everything falls apart around him.  And when it all works out, as it always does, he gets to flail his arms and scream, “yay!!”, which is the best part.

1 comment:

StinkyLulu said...

This is stunning insight.
I'm gobsmacked by how hilarious apt (or aptly hilarious) it is...