Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We are what we eat


About 18 months ago, or January or February of 2012, I went to the doctor and found out I had borderline to high cholesterol and very high triglycerides.  He wanted to put me on medication, but I asked for one last chance to try diet, as my mother had had good results with a Mediterranean diet.  I stopped eating sugar, processed foods, and most bread. I watched my portion sizes. I couldn't exercise as I was healing from sinus surgery for about 6 weeks.  By April, I had lost 20 pounds, my cholesterol was down 100 points, and my triglycerides 300.  I felt great. Kept exercising. Lost 35 pounds by June and kept it off.

Until...

I did the AIDS ride this June, and I've gained 15 pounds in 2 months.  While you're training, you eat whatever you want.  I sadly kept going, and quit exercising as much. I also threw away my "fat pants" so the only jeans I have are so tight around the middle that my car key left an indent in my leg today.

I really don't want to buy new pants.

This afternoon I decided to have a candy bar. I can't remember the last time I had a whole candy bar.  This was around 4.

By 6 o'clock I was wondering why my life was so awful and why I was alive.

Now, I know sugar has this effect on me. It has my whole life.  Stopping it threw that into relief. I had had no idea before, but I can feel a direct connection between sugar and my mood. I can also see it in any child on the street. So why is it so hard to stop it again? I don't know, but I think I'm near the end of it.

Tonight I came home, scrounged for some legumes and corn chips (bachelor meal), while I made a pork, green chile, sweet potato stew.  I had a little bowl. I feel much better.

It's so simple. Why is it necessary to find it out again?  Whatever the reason, I have a wonderful stew for the rest of the week.  I can steer clear of the candy bars.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Recipe, please?

I gave up sugar, most dairy and most bread last week. Things were getting out of hand -- not just my weight but how bad I was feeling. I already feel better and hope that I can stick to it, lose weight. The whole thing is so tiresome, though.

Criticlasm said...

Yeah, it is. But I can really feel it in my mood, it's kind of amazing.

And I'll mail it to you. I should get the real recipe from Tanya or her mother - I usually just throw some stuff in a pot. It's very simple though - onions, garlic, pork, chile, chicken broth, cumin. I think the real recipe has half a beer, too. I'll find it - it's delicious!