Friday, September 20, 2013

Scheduling

I have a little problem being busy. I've had it for a while. I love the idea of not being busy, but sadly I'm  not so good at the practice of it.

I am getting better, though.  This weekend I'm taking my boyfriend to the Sing-a-long Sound of Music at the Bowl, as he's never been to the bowl.  Sunday, I am going to an art show preview, and then to the birthday dinner for the dear daughter of my dearest friend.

I'm saying this because I have tonight, all day tomorrow, and most of Sunday free.  Next week, I have something every night, including two day-long events I'm stage managing. I do another October 5th.  Then I'm performing at a reading for a friend's fundraiser on the 15th (hopefully minimal rehearsal), followed by leaving town on the 16th for four days to put up a play in Palm Springs that weekend.

In the meantime, I've given myself a writing deadline.  I know I can meet it. I also have a writing group meeting in there somewhere. If you want something done, they say, give it to a busy person. Is that why I keep saying yes?

Things will slow down. That will probably make me antsy.  In the meantime, I need to remember that there is more than enough time - people do what I'm doing and have families.  People direct movies, put up TV shows, run political campaigns.  This is really nothing.

I'm writing this to remind myself of a truism - If I stay in the moment, time expands.  There is always enough. If I'm already worried about October and it feels like I'm close to Thanksgiving already, then it's going to be a crazed couple of months.

I took a yoga class at lunch, and remembered I need to breathe.  There is space. There is time.  What's the rush?

No comments: